Site Accessibility Statement
Department Teaching & Learning Objectives and Outcomes
Wes strive to offer students the opportunity to:
- foster and develop the study of languages, literatures and cultures in an environment which integrates research and teaching;
- develop a thorough knowledge and application of the target language reaching a high level of achievement both written and spoken upon students’ graduation;
- form critical thinking skills promoting intellectual curiosity and independent study;
- encourage and promote an appreciation of the specific subject and its study in an atmosphere conducive to the pursuit of scholarship and to develop further opportunities for inter-departmental, inter-institutional and international links;
- promote a teaching and learning environment where the exchange of ideas is reciprocal and based on respect and understanding;
- foster a creative environment where students can explore the various approaches to fulfill the goals set up in each learning experience;
- develop students’ transferable skills with a view to the future;
- promote the possibility to study abroad in the third or fourth year in order to enhance the exposure to the target language and culture.
After completing the degree, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a very good understanding of the language and culture studied at Laurier;
- use high proficiency in both written and oral skills in the target languages;
- apply excellent critical thinking skills to pursue their studies or use in their future careers;
- had the opportunity to study abroad to refine their language skills and appreciate the culture of the studied languages.