Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Provost & Vice-President: Academic
October 25, 2016
Canadian Excellence

Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

OHIP covers a wide range of health services. It pays only for services that are medically necessary. You must have Ontario Health insurance to use Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care funded health services.

A bried description of insured services can be found at:

How do I apply for OHIP?

Application for OHIP must be made in person at an OHIP office.

  • Waterloo
    Unit 2B, 1400 Weber Street East, Kitchener, N2A 3Z8
  • Brantford
    119 King Street West, 10th Floor, Hamilton, L8P 4Y7

You will need to provide original documentation showing your Canadian citizenship or immigration status, prrof of residency in Ontario, and personal identification. If your children are 15 1/2 years or younger, you can apply for their health coverage at the same time you apply for your own. Children older than 15 1/2 years must register in person. Apply as soon as possible upon arrival in Ontario.

Am I eligible for OHIP right away or do I have to wait?

There may be a three-moth waiting period for your OHIP coverage.
If you are a newcomier to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You are also required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residency is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residency).

What do I do if I have a three-month waiting period?

Ontario Health Card

When you join OHIP, you will receive an Ontario Health Card, an identification card bearing a permanent health insurance number. A resident of Ontario must have a health card to show that he or she is entitled to health services paid for by OHIP.

Extended Health Care Coverage

Please refer to Laurier's webpage on Employee Benefits and Pension for information about extended health care coverage.