Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Provost & Vice-President: Academic
June 24, 2017
Canadian Excellence

Driving in Ontario

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation web site provides information on getting a licence in Ontario. Below is some of the information at a glance from the Ministry, but you should go to the web site directly for further details:

If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country or you may have to apply for an Ontario driver's licence, depending on your length of stay. You should also ensure your automobile insurance coverage is sufficient.

New Residents

If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you want to keep driving in Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. You must use your Ontario licence when you are issued one. New Ontario residents have 30 days before they have to register their vehicles and get Ontario licence plates and vehicle permit.

Exchanging an out-of-province licence

Registering a vehicle imported from outside Canada