Additions to the Family
Helpful Hints for a Successful Maternity and/or Parental Leave or Adoption Leave
Where do I begin?
- Please review your respective collective agreement which will explain who is entitled to maternity, parental or adoption leave and whether you are entitled to supplementary employment benefits.
At least one (1) month before
- Please contact the Benefits Specialist to request a maternity and/or parental leave or adoption leave information package.
- Once you receive the information package please review the information and fill out the following forms:
- Notification of Preganancy, Parental or Adoption Leave
- Maternity/Parental/Adoption Leave Continuation of Group Benefits
- Cease Payroll Deductions for Parking Permit
- Dependent Enrolment Form
- You will be required to submit a Record of Employment (ROE) when you apply for Employment Insurance (EI). Payroll will send a ROE electronically to Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) within five (5) working days of your last day of work. You may apply for EI benefits online as soon as you stop working. Please click on the link below:
- Please note that a pregnancy leave can commence up to seventeen (17) weeks prior to the child's birth date, however, EI will not be able to be collected until eight (8) weeks prior.
The new addition to the family
Congratulations! As this is a very excited time for you and your family, please ensure you do not avoid the following tasks:
- Notify the Benefits Specialist of the actual birth date if the child comes earlier than the expected maternity leave start date.
- Complete the Dependent Enrolment form to add your child to your benefit plan.
- If you are considering adding your child as a beneficiary for life insurance and pension, please see the information available here
- Our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers new mothers the chance to participate in a peer support group regarding Postpartum Adjustment. For more information about the group or other peer support groups they offer please click on the links highlighted above.
- Region of Waterloo offers information and seminars regarding healthy pregnancies. Click here to check out the useful information.
- Kitchner-Waterloo YMCA Ontario Early Years Centre website is a great resource and free to all community members.
- Contact your Payroll Administrator should you encounter any problems with your Record of Employment, payments, the payment process or have related questions.
- Contact the Benefits Specialist if you encounter any difficulties with the forms or general questions regarding your leave.