Values, Vision, Mission and Guiding Principles
Approved by the Board of Governors on November 20, 2008
- Our intimate community environment
- Our academic and institutional tradition
- New and integrated communities of learning and application
- Diversity and a culture of inclusivity
- Developing the whole person: mind, spirit and body
- Community focus and global engagement
- A life of purpose and citizenship
- Learning through experience
Our vision provides a lens that we use to look at the world to understand what we do and what we aspire to be.
Our commitment is to justice and sustainability now and in the future, so we strive to ignite the minds, spirits and hearts of our communities through excellence in teaching and learning, in the discovery, scholarly exploration, and application of new ideas, and in instilling the courage to engage and challenge the world in all its complexity.
The mission describes our core purpose and commitment to stakeholders.
The Guiding Principles are consistent with our vision and mission and will inform decision making as we embrace our future.
- Responsible governance
- Community citizenship
- Realizing an appropriate balance among research, teaching and service
- Recognizing the linkage between research and teaching
- Integrity and strong leadership
- Making strategic choices for the long-term health of the institution
- Learning and advancing knowledge across boundaries
- Collaboration and collegiality
- Respectful relationships
- Openness to change
- Sustainability and environmental responsibility