Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Safety, Health, Environment & Risk Management
May 22, 2017
Canadian Excellence

FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions

We regularly receive questions regarding environmental, health & safety issues. Some of the questions which we are most frequently asked can be found below. The FAQ section is intended as a first resource, but if there are any other questions which you think should be added, please let us know. If you still can't find what you're looking for, or if you want more information, please contact our department.

Hazardous Waste

Where do I get waste labels?
Contact SHERM at extension 3108 to request labels to be sent via interoffice mail, or you can stop by the SHERM office to pick up labels.

Does SHERM supply containers to collect hazardous chemical waste?
SHERM can supply 10L or 20L plastic containers to collect waste.  Hazardous waste that is not compatible with plastic cannot be stored in these containers.  Laboratory supervisors are responsible for supplying containers that are compatible with the types of waste generated in the laboratories.

What do I do with empty chemical containers?
Empty containers that contained chemicals must be triple rinsed with clean water.  Dispose of the rinse water in to the hazardous chemical waste.  If there is no residue left in the container after three rinses, it may be disposed of into the municipal waste.  If residue remains in the container, take further action (i.e. rinse with a solvent, or physically scrape out chemicals) to clean the container before disposal.

Universal Waste

I have regular alkaline batteries. Can I throw them in the trash?
Batteries can be recycled.  Drop off containers are located on campus in the following locations:

Faculty of Science - N1048

ITS - BA313C

Accessible Learning - 1C11

Library - L2-213

Most types of batteries are accepted, however Lithium or Li batteries must have their terminals taped prior to being deposited into the container.  For any questions regarding the recycling of batteries, contact SHERM at extension 3108.

I found a fluorescent light bulb in my office. What should I do with it?
Call Physical Resources at 6280 or SHERM at extension 3108 to arrange for proper disposal.


Who is required to attend Bloodborne Pathogen training?
All grounds and trades personnel that may work in Health Services, residences, laboratories or any area of campus that may encounter blood or other body fluids.

Does lab equipment need to be decontaminated prior to disposal, repair or servicing?
Yes.  See BIO-008 and BIO-009 for a procedure and decontamination certificate of equipment contaminated with biological agents.

I would like to work with a Risk Group 1 and/or Risk Group 2 organism in the laboratory.  How do I obtain approval for this type of work?
Refer to

General Laboratory Safety

What PPE is required for working in the lab?
See Section 9 of the Laboratory Health and Safety Manual.

I have laboratory generated waste that I am unsure how to dispose of.  What should I do?
Refer to the Laboratory Waste Disposal Table for descriptions of waste types and disposal methods.  If your waste is not represented on the table or you have further questions, call SHERM at extension 3108.

How do I set up my laboratory for use of radiation or biological agents?
Contact SHERM at extension 3108 for details regarding the procedures for new laboratory setups.

Where can I find laboratory procedures and forms?
Hard copies of all procedures can be found in the SHERM office in a binder labelled “Controlled Documents”.  Electronic copies will be available online at a later date.


How do I gain access to the online WHMIS training?

If you have an account through MyLearningSpace; log in to MyLearningSpace using your Novell username and password then click on the “Self Registration” link at the top of the page to register for WHMIS.

If you do not have an account, please contact My Learning Space at to have an account set up for you.

Complete either the Basic or Comprehensive version of the course and print the certificate that appears in the news section of the course when you have passed the quiz. The certificate should be given to your supervisor as your record of training.

If you have any questions about online WHMIS training, please contact Sarah Lamb at