Research Grant Hiring
1. How to Hire Student Employees
2. Research Assistant Stipends And Calculation of Benefits:
(a) NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR no longer specify maximum or minimum stipends for the grant funding of students. The Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide no longer stipulates the value of stipends that can be paid from grants.
In past years, rates have varied. These are our suggested rates: (Note: An additional 14% of stipend amounts must be budgeted to cover mandatory taxes and benefits.)
- $12,000-$17,000/year (full time master's student)
- $17,000-$19,000/year (PhD student)
- $32,000 minimum (postdoctoral fellow)
(b) Recommended Hourly Rates for Student Research Assistants.
|Undergraduate Students||$16-18 per hour|
|Master's Students||$18-20 per hour|
|Doctoral Students||$20-25 per hour|
|In addition to the above hourly rate, an additional 14% must be budgeted to cover mandatory taxes and benefits (Canada Pension, Unemployment Insurance, Vacation Pay). Charges are calculated by Payroll and deducted from your account automatically.|