Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Centre for Student Success
December 3, 2016
Canadian Excellence


Degree Requirements

Enrolment Services is the best source for complete information on your degree or progression requirements.
If you require clarification of your degree requirements, please see the undergraduate program advisor in your department.

LORIS: How to Register

LORIS is used to register for all courses in all terms, including distance education courses and for adding and dropping of all courses through out the term.

Loris instructional video

Add/Drop Courses

For the most part, once the term has begun, all adding and dropping of courses is done electronically by the student on LORIS.
If the course is full, if it is past the add date, or for other exceptions to the rules established by each department,  the undergraduate program advisor will make the decision as to whether or not the student can be added to the course.
Courses dropped after each term's set deadline will be subjected to academic and financial penalties. 

Course Prerequisites

Normally students are not allowed to register in a course without the appropriate prerequisite course.  Students who wish to take a course without the appropriate prerequisite course, are strongly encouraged to contact the department who is responsible for delivering the course.

Management Option

The Management Option is normally a direct-entry program for students with an incoming average of 85% or above; the option is meant to be combined with a major from the Faculties of Arts, Science, Music or the department of Economics.

Current Laurier students who are eligible, may apply for the option using the online Program Selection Form available through the Office of the Enrolment Services.

Students who have entered through direct-entry must have a minimum GPA of 6.0 in BU111 and BU127 to progress to senior BU courses [200-, 300- and 400-level]

For continuing students to be eligible to declare the option, a student must have a minimum GPA of 6.0 in BU111 and BU127. A student must also successfully complete a recognized statistics course from their program of study or BU205/EC205 from the Department of Business prior to admission.

Entry to the program is competitive and students would typically apply at the end of Year 2.

Only students in an honours degree will be considered for admission.

Full program information

Program advising:
Bethany Ankucza, ext. 2060,
Anne Ellis, ext. 2572,

Minor: Requirements

A minor is a secondary area of concentration in an honours program requiring a sequence of at least 3.0 credits or equivalent in one subject as specified in the program description. 

A minor designation will appear on your final transcript but not on your degree.  You do not select a minor until you apply to graduate.  The Registrar's Office will then access your credits and award you a minor in a specific subject if you have met the program requirements.

Full Courses: what to do when a course you want is full

As a general rule, when a course is full a student must select another course.  However, there are exceptions to that rule, determined by department and/or instructor.  Students who are interested in adding a course that is listed as 'full' are advised to follow the following procedures.

Prior to and including the FIRST WEEK of classes:
Science students are encouraged to speak with the department if a course/lab that is required is full.
All other students must check LORIS frequently for an opening.

SECOND WEEK of classes and including the last day to add a course:
Contact the department that is responsible for delivering the course.  The program advisors will provide information about the process and the policy with respect to courses that are full.

Deferred Examination Policy

Deferred examination policy and information

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Make sure you understand how to calculate your GPA right from first year and on through your years at Laurier and what it means to your academic standing.
Your undergraduate program advisor is available to meet with you to discuss any issues about your academics and can make suggestions on improving your academic performance.

The GPA calculator is for personal and informational purposes only. The calculations are unofficial. Your official GPA and academic record is available on LORIS.

Academic Standing

There are four states for your academic standing at Laurier:

  • May Proceed (Good Standing)
  • Academic Probation
  • Ineligible to Proceed
  • Required to Withdraw


Please carefully read all the information required and provided by the University with regards to petitioning.  Full understanding of the requirements and the process involved is completely the students responsibility.

Petition contact information


If you want an advisor to look over your graduation requirements for a specific program you are to meet with the undergraduate program advisor for that department.

General BA/BSc with no designation student should see the faculty advisor.

Once that has been done, follow the instructions from Enrolment Services on applying to graduate.

You may find the Step by Step Guide to Graduation helpful for following the proper procedure.

Transferring Campuses

Laurier Brantford is an integral part of Wilfrid Laurier University. Its programs and operations are tied to those at Laurier's Waterloo campus. Students registered at Brantford can take courses on the Waterloo campus, and students registered at Waterloo can take courses at Brantford with permission from the appropriate program.

Normally, students may transfer between Laurier's campuses if they are in good standing, have successfully completed at least 4.0 credits and meet the entry standards of the degree program into which they wish to transfer. Students intending to transfer should obtain academic counselling from the campus, faculty or school into which they intend to transfer.

Campus Override form

Program Selection: All students

Year 1 students normally register in May, after having received the offer of admission. Details regarding registration procedures are mailed to each student.

In March, returning Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4 students have an opportunity to confirm their academic program for the following year by pre-registering online using LORIS. If the deadline to confirm your program has passed or access to the site is not possible, the online Program Selection Form may be used. In July and throughout the summer and fall/winter, students may then select their courses online.

Frequenty-used forms

From Enrolment Services, this link will take you to all the forms needed to register, petition, override, withdraw, change your address etc.

Readmmission/Re-registration to Laurier

Request for Readmission to Arts/Science/Liberal Arts/Human and Social Sciences

If you were required to withdraw from Laurier, you may request readmission to resume studies no earlier than 12 months from the date of required withdrawal.

Request for Re-registration

The request for re-registration form is necessary for students that have had a lapse in registration of 18 months or greater, or have attended another postsecondary institution since their last registration at Laurier.


All transcript requests are handled through Enrolment Services.

Transferring Campuses

Students that wish to transfer from the Brantford Campus to the Waterloo Campus or Waterloo Campus to Brantford Campus must complete the attached form.

Campus Override form

Transfer Credits

If you are coming into Laurier with credits from another institution, the Undergraduate Admissions Office will assess those credits and determine what can be applied towards your Laurier degree. The official University calendar provides information on the transfer process.

You may also take courses at other institutions and have the credit applied toward your degree.    Before you take the course you must contact your departmental Program Advisor and they will determine if the course(s) can be used toward your degree requirements. Second, if permission is granted, you must submit a Letter of Permission through the Registrar's Office.
Letter of Permission information

Courses at the University of Waterloo follow a different procedure - use the cross-registration form available in the Office of the Registrar or online.

Transferring to BBA or Kin: current students

Current Laurier students interested in transferring into either the BBA or Kinesiology program, should first speak with the undergraduate program advisor in the department.
SBE advising
Kinesiology advising

You will find the complete information on changing your program and the necessary forms on the  Enrolment Services webpage.

Cross-registration in courses at the University of Waterloo

Laurier students are able to take courses at the University of Waterloo through cross-registration. To register, complete a cross-registration form. You require approval from your academic advisor, and University of Waterloo departmental approval for on-campus courses. Online courses do not require University of Waterloo approval. If the course is also offered at Laurier, additional departmental approval is required.

Once complete, submit the cross-registration form with all required signatures to Service Laurier. A separate form must be completed for each term you are registering.

Your tuition fees will be due to Laurier, with the rest of your tuition fees.

In order to qualify to take a University of Waterloo course, you:

  • Must be working towards a degree;
  • Cannot be on academic probation in a general degree; and
  • Cannot be a post-degree student.

If you have any questions about taking a course through cross-registration, email

Required to Withdraw

If you were required to withdraw from Laurier, you may request re-admission to resume studies no earlier than 12 months from the date of required withdrawal.

Please note: Due to the competitive nature of the programs in the School of Business & Economics, students who were required to withdraw from the University are not eligible for re-admission into these programs. If you wish to be considered for re-admission into another program at the University, follow the instructions below for Arts, Brantford or Science.

For the Faculty of Arts, Laurier Brantford and the Faculty of Science:

  1. Re-admission will be at the discretion of the appropriate Faculty Committee and is not guaranteed.
  2. Academic upgrading is required (i.e. Two academic college courses, each at a minimum grade of A- (80%); or two university courses, each at a minimum grade of B- (70%) or better. These courses may not be taken at Laurier and must not cover course material previously taken at Laurier. Any additional courses taken while on "must withdraw" status will be scrutinized by the appropriate Faculty Committee.
  3. Courses taken for upgrading purposes must be pre-approved. Email the Office of Enrolment Services with the course description or course syllabus or links to the website where this information can be found and include your full name and student ID number in the email.
  4. Courses taken at college or another university to either meet upgrading requirements or taken for interest while on a "must withdraw" status will not be awarded as, or considered for, transfer credit if you are re-admitted.
  5. An official transcript must be sent directly to the Office of Enrolment Services - Records from the institution(s) attended for upgrading.

Previous Laurier students must complete: Request for Re-admission

The Faculty Committee requires that you submit, along with the appropriate academic documents, the online form with a statement which includes the following:

  1. The program you wish to enter or re-enter;
  2. The reasons for your previous academic performance;
  3. Why you wish to attend Laurier and why you think you will be more successful academically if re-admitted;
  4. Details concerning your activities or work experience since your last attendance at school.

If re-admitted, students are permitted to enroll in part-time studies on academic probation. They are limited to 1.0 credits per semester and must successfully complete 2.0 credits (or equivalent) with a G.P.A. of 5.00 (C) within two years, but are limited to taking a total of 4.0 credits (or equivalent) until academic probation is cleared. No failures are allowed during this probationary period. Upon clearing probation they may then proceed into full-time or part-time studies in accordance with regular academic regulations.

Applicants will be notified by email once decisions have been made. Mail will be sent to the mailing address on file with the Office of Enrolment Services.

Voluntary Withdrawal

Students may choose to leave the university on a temporary or permanent basis.

Process for Voluntary Student Withdrawal from Laurier

If you are planning on leaving Laurier, it is important that you take the proper steps to withdraw:

  • Talk to an academic advisor. This is important if you are planning to take a leave from your program, or if you are interested in discussing how your academic path may be impacted.
  • Drop all of your courses on LORIS. Non-attendance doesn’t constitute official withdrawal. By dropping your courses by the last day to drop within a given term will prevent "XF"s from appearing on your transcript. Also, you may be eligible for a tuition refund depending on when you drop your courses.
  • Email Service Laurier from your myLaurier account confirming your withdrawal from Laurier.
  • Email Student Awards if you’re an OSAP recipient. Student Awards will make the needed changes to your OSAP application.
  • Update your mailing address on LORIS.
  • If you are dropping any online learning courses, complete an online administrative fee reversal form.
  • If you have a credit on your account after dropping your courses, you can request a refund.
  • If applicable, complete a tuition/late registration fee appeal. Read all information prior to complete, as appeals are for extenuating circumstances only.
  • If you are in residence, contact your residence don or the Department of Residence for procedures.
  • Email the OneCard office with your full name and student ID if you have funds remaining on your OneCard.
  • Ensure all material is returned to the library and any outstanding fees have been resolved.
  • Complete the "Notice of Withdrawal: Brantford" online form (Brantford campus only).

Students who have been required to withdraw from the university, and who would like to apply to return to studies, must follow readmission procedures.

Withdrawing Checklist