Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Human Resources
April 28, 2017
Canadian Excellence

Research Associates

Research Associates are partners in research.  They are considered outside the WLUSA bargaining unit regardless of campus.  This is the definition as per WLUSA:

Must have an advanced degree, normally a Ph.D. or post graduate professional degree or equivalent, in the field where the research is to be carried out and contribute, by the way of their academic expertise, to the project directed by the principal investigator and carry out these research responsibilities with a high degree of independence.

In order to hire a Research Associate, a completed Research Associate Appointment Request must be submitted to Human Resources which should be accompanied by the Index code, a job description and approval from Manager, Research Finance that the funds are available for the duration of the assignment.

The Human Resources will provide Appointment and Offer letters.  Once signed by the Research Associate, please return to Human Resources to set up the assignment through payroll for processing.  

Please have your Research Associate complete the New Hire payroll forms on the HR website as per the link below if this is their first employment opportunity with WLU.  

Direct Deposit form:

Federal Tax form:

Provincial Tax form:


An ID number will be created by once the offer has been signed by both the VP Research and the Research Associate.  This number will be provided to the Principal Investigator to use for additional University services such as email etc.