Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Laurier Brantford
September 26, 2016
Canadian Excellence

Come check us out!


Before making an appointment, can you find the information you need below? 
If you have further questions, please contact:

Academic Advising Office - located in the Dean's Office in RCE
Phone: (519) 756-8228 x5849


Dr. Judy Eaton - Program Coordinator for Psychology at Laurier Brantford

Q:  I'm a high school student interested in Laurier Brantford's Psychology program.  What do I need to take?

A:  The admission requirements for the psychology program at Laurier Brantford include 4U English and a 4U Math.  You can also talk to recruitment officers and/or set up an appointment to take a tour if you're interested in learning more about the programs at Laurier Brantford.

Q: What if I don't have the correct Math to get into Psychology?

A: There are several possibilities to make up the appropriate math. First, view the question above to see which math is required. Then, you could take an online math course at a place like  or, take a night course at an adult learning centre (e.g., St. Louise Adult Learning Centre), or, take any 1st year math here at Laurier. Note, the latter may be a harder alternative, but it will also serve to meet part of your Division C requirement.

Q: I've noticed that the Psychology Department at the Waterloo campus of WLU has something called a Research Specialist Honours.  How is the Research Specialist different from the Comprehensive Honours BA offered at Laurier Brantford?

A:  The Comprehensive (BA) program that is available at Laurier Brantford is designed to expose you to a breadth of topics in psychology.  It does not offer the opportunity to do a 4th year thesis.  As such, the Comprehensive BA program is what you would take if you were interested in either 1) getting a job right after you graduate or 2) going on to do graduate work in programs that do not require a thesis (e.g., social work, teacher's college, law school, speech pathology, etc.) See Career Services for more information in similar possible graduate programs.  Details regarding the program requirements for the Comprehensive degree in Psychology at Laurier Brantford are available here.

The Research Specialist (BA or BSc) is a program that does offer the opportunity to do a 4th year thesis, and therefore is the program for you if you want to do graduate work (MA, PhD) in psychology.  Research Specialist programs are available ONLY at the Waterloo campus of WLU.  The Research Specialist programs offer more in-depth training in a wide variety of skills: statistics, research skills, presentation skills, writing skills and training in the logic and critical thinking that these skills require.  This degree will offer the widest range of opportunities for graduate school, in and out of psychology.  You can review the Program Outlines to see course requirements for the different types of Psychology degrees available at the Waterloo campus at the following link.

Q:  What are the Progression Requirements (i.e., grades you need to get into/stay in each program)?

A:  Comprehensive:  To stay in this program after first year, you need to have a grade point (GP) of 5.0 (i.e., C) in introductory psychology (i.e., PS101 + PS102 as of the 2010/11 academic year, PS100 prior to that), and a 5.0 in your overall grade point average (GPA).  To progress from Year 2 to Year 3, you need a GPA of 6.0 in your Psychology courses and an overall GPA of 5.0.  Similarly, to progress from Year 3 to Year 4, you need a GPA of 6.0 in your Psychology courses and a 5.0 overall GPA.  NOTE:  you must have a GPA of 7.0 (B-) in your Psychology courses to graduate.

Research Specialist:  To get into this program after your 2nd year, you need a C- in PS295 AND PS296, a GPA of 7.0 in your Psychology courses and a GPA of 6.0 overall.  If space permits, students with lower grades may be allowed.  Laurier Brantford students can transfer to the Waterloo campus if they wish to switch into this program.  The decision regarding which degree to pursue (Comprehensive or Research Specialist) is usually made in March of second year - consult with your academic advisor for more details.

Q: What grade do I need in my classes to make it to a GPA of 7?

A: That depends on how many credits you're spacing the GPA of 7 over. The maximum credits in psychology you can have is 11. So a GPA of 7 over 11 credits is 7 x 11 grade points = 77. In other words, 77 grade points is your goal. Then calculate how many grade points you have, which is your GPA (found on LORIS, or use the GPA calculator) X the number of credits you have. For example, if you have a 6.15 GPA over 6.5 credits, you currently have 39.97 grade points. Subtract what you have from your goal: 77 - 39.97 = 37.03, In other words, you have to attain 37.03 grade points over an additional 4.5 credits (11-6.5=4.5). So you'd need a little over 4 grade points per course, assuming each course is weighted as a half credit (4.5 credits = 9 courses). So you divide the grade points you need by the number of courses you have left to take (37.03/9=4.11).

  Laurier GPA Calculator click here.

Q: I am placed into General No Designation?

A: If you were in psychology but were placed into the General No Designation degree due to unmet GPA requirements, you will not be able to take PS295, PS296 or 3rd year courses until you have met GPA requirements and have been re-admitted into the program.  You can take other 2nd year psychology courses to mirror the degree as much as possible until you are re-admitted.

QWhat is a GPA and how do I calculate mine?

A:  Please click here for the answer. 
     More useful grading information found here.

Q:  What courses do I need to take for my degree?

A:  We have created Printable Program outlines that you can use to keep track of which requirements you have met, and which you still need to complete.  To the see the requirements, please click here.

Q:  Help!  I'm getting Loris Error Messages.....?

A:  Service Laurier should be able to help you out. Please email or call (519) 756-8228 ext.5885.

Q:  Do I have what I need to graduate?  Am I on the right track?

A:  Before making an appointment, go over your Printable Program outline to see if you've met the requirements.  Also, check the Degree Evaluation program on Loris, as it red flags the requirements you have not yet met. 

Honours BA in Psychology at Brantford

Honours Combination BA at Brantford

Q:  What do I need to transfer from Laurier to another institution?  How do I transfer from Psychology at Laurier to another department at Laurier?

A:  This is a question for the institution to which you want to transfer.  You have to contact them.  Similarly, you have to contact the department to which you want to transfer.

Q: What should I do if I want to take courses outside of Laurier?

A: You need to find the course outline (not just the description, but the whole outline). It it's not easily available online, contact the department or professor for a copy. The previous year's outline is sufficient if the current one is not available. Then attach it to the Letter of Permission from to be submitted to the Registrar's office: Form

Q:  How do I declare a Minor?

A:  A minor is declared when you complete your Application To Graduation form. You should research the requirements for your minor, located on that department's website.  Take the courses necessary, then declare the minor when graduating.

Q:  Can I switch programs if I decide I don't like what I'm doing?

A:  Yes, if you have the correct requirements and GPA.  For more advice and guidance, please see Academic Advising or Dr. Chris Alksnis, Program Coordinator for Psychology at the Brantford Campus.

Q:  What is Community Service Learning (CSL) and how is it incorporated into the psychology degree?

A:  Community Service-Learning allows students to be actively involved with community organizations as part of their course work.  This is typically done in conjunction with assignments and in-class reflection activities to relate their experiences to the course content.  In the past, students have participated as volunteers in daycare centres, schools, youth service organizations, mental health service organizations, retirement and nursing homes, organizations serving the homeless, etc.  There are a number of Psychology courses that include a CSL component. 

CSL Website
Psychology CSL Courses

Q: What can I do with my degree in psychology?

A:  Employers hire people, not degrees! Check out this website to understand what skills employers look for and specific information about what you can do with a psychology degree.  The Canadian Psychological Association has also put out a publication that provides more detailed information about careers in psychology, which you can find here.

Q: What do I need to get into graduate school?

A: That depends on the school. The website has a lot of great information. If you go to the most recent Graduate Guide on the site, you will find details on all the graduate programs offered in Canada and what their admission requirements are. If  you find a program you like, be sure to check the official university website for up to date requirements. Then make sure you are getting those requirements while completing your program here.
Other useful links:
My Graduate School
Career Services on campus can also help with graduate school

Q:  What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

A:   The Canadian Psychological Association has posted information about how long a person has to study to become a psychologist in Ontario here and information about the similarities and differences between a psychologist and a psychiatrist here.

Students - Please Note:

Laurier Email Accounts are our official means of communication with you. Students are expected to regularly check their Laurier email account for important notices from the university community. Students are also expected to send emails to official members of the university community from their Laurier email account to ensure delivery. Email's sent from non-Laurier accounts, such as hotmail, may be identified as spam and not delivered. Your co-operation is appreciated.

If your question is still unanswered, or you have suggestions about information to include on our website, please contact us at (519) 756-8228 X5563 or