Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty of Science
August 27, 2016
Canadian Excellence

Academic Advising

Each of the Departments in the Faculty of Science is committed to providing the best possible information and guidance to students for their academic programs.  We strongly encourage students enrolling in Year 1 Health Sciences program to take advantage of individual counselling and information sessions held each year from May through July during the Faculty of Science Headstart program.

Continuing students in Health Sciences programs seeking course and program advice should contact the program's Academic Advisor, Dr. Vivienne Vance Advising is available over the summer months on Wednesday mornings from 10-12 (by appointment). To book an appointment with Dr. Vance, please contact Linda Bennett (admin assistant) at  or 519-884-0710 x4501. 

All students are strongly encouraged to use the Honour BSc Health Sciences Program document (links below) to track your progress through each year of the Health Sciences program and ensure that you are meeting all of the program requirements for graduation. Please ensure that you have completed this document fully and bring with you to your advising appointment.

Note that students admitted to Health Sciences in 2014 or later must follow the 2014,2015,2016 Program Checklist .  Students admitted prior to 2014 have the option to graduate under the requirements that were in place when they were admitted to the program, as outlined in the

2011,2012,2013 Program Checklist OR to adopt the revised program requirements, provided that they follow the updated requirements in their entirety.   

Information about the academic advising available in the Faculty of Science through the Dean's office and the other departments in the Faculty can be found on the Faculty of Science Academic Advising page.

For general inquiries pertaining to the Faculty of Science, please email

Please review the following FAQs for common concerns, policies and procedures:

Health Sciences FAQ

Q1. I am having difficulty registering for a course on LORIS. What should I do?

A. There are a number of common error messages that you may encounter when registering for courses on LORIS. A list of the most frequent problems and suggestions for how to fix them can be found here

Q2. I was admitted to Health Sciences before 2014. Do I have to follow the revised 2014 program requirements?

A. No. Students admitted to Health Sciences prior to the changes that were adopted in 2014 have the option to graduate under the calendar description that was in place when they were admitted to the program OR to follow the revised program requirements, as long as you select one or the other in its entirety. In other words, you must select one and may not pick and choose aspects of both calendars.

Please see links to the 2011,2012,2013 and 2014,2015,2016 Program Checklists on the academic advising page.

Q3. What is the GPA requirement to stay in Health Sciences?

A. Health Science students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative overall GPA of 6.0 (C+) for progression and graduation in Health Sciences. Progression decisions are made by the Department in May of each year OR when a student completes a minimum of 4.0 credits.

Q4. How do I register for a directed studies course?

A. Students wishing to complete a directed studies course must complete the directed studies form found here, to which you must attach a one page course outline which includes the course evaluation (grading scheme) and signature of the faculty member who has agreed to supervise your directed studies course. Both documents must be submitted to the Department Chair and Dean’s office for approval.

Q5. How do I register for HE 490?

A. HE 490 is the directed research in Health Sciences thesis course. Student registering for HE 490 must complete the HE 490 form found here

Q6. I would like to take a course at another university. How do I arrange this?

A. It is recommended that you discuss your plans with the Health Sciences Undergraduate Advisor.

For courses at the University of Waterloo, please refer to the Laurier Cross Registered procedures and link to the UW cross-registration form found here

Note that courses taken at UW require the approval of the Undergraduate Advisor and a course authorization signature from the UW instructor.

Courses taken at other universities (except UW) require a letter of permission request form found here Note that required courses taken on a letter of permission require Department approval (Department Chair) via email, which must then be forwarded to in the Registrar’s office.

For either of the above options permission to take elective courses is relatively simple, however please be aware that you will need strong justification for taking a required course at another university. Required courses must be evaluated for “course equivalency” by the appropriate Undergraduate Advisor BEFORE registering for the course. You will need to provide the Undergrad Advisor with a calendar description and detailed course syllabus before equivalency can be determined.

Q7. How do I declare a minor in another discipline?

A. Minors (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Psychology) are declared when you complete your application to graduate. Minors typically consist of a minimum of 3.0 credits (6 courses), two of which must be senior level credits. Note that HN 210 and HN 220 may count towards a Biology minor, however no more than 1.0 HN credit may be included. Please refer to the appropriate department website to review the requirements for specific disciplines.

Q8. I am interested in switching my major to Honour Health Sciences. Is this possible?

A. Yes, a limited number of students may be eligible for transfer to Honours Health Sciences from another WLU program of study. If you wish to be considered for transfer to Health Sciences please apply to transfer via the Registrar’s office no later than late April. The Department of Health Sciences considers transfer application in early May of each year. Typically students require a cumulative GPA of 9.0 (B+) or higher to be considered for transfer, as well as all of the grade 12 U or equivalent requirements in Chemistry, Biology, Advanced Functions and English.

Information and request form for transfer to Health Sciences can be found here: