Academic Advisor: Faculty of ScienceThe Academic Advisor in the Dean of Science office, Maureen Coulter, provides general academic advising for students enrolled in the Faculty of Science (FOS). The advisor is the primary contacts for:
· senior students in the Honours Science (without major) program, or in the General BA/BSc without Designation in the Faculty of Science, including review of progression and graduation requirements for those programs
· first-year and senior students experiencing general academic difficulties, including those who have extenuating personal circumstances (e.g., transition issues, physical or mental health, family/relationship issues, etc.) that are impacting their academic performance
· students on academic probation
· interpretation and explanation of general university academic policies and procedures
· deferred examinationrequests for Faculty of Science courses
· the Faculty of Science petition processfor exceptions to academic regulations
· students who have been readmitted to the Faculty of Science following a period of absence
· transfer students who are enrolled in post-degree studies, or those wishing to pursue a second degree
If you would like to book an appointment with Maureen, use the self-booking system below. You will require your Novell (email) login and password to book an appointment. The Academic Advisor's office is located in the Dean of Science Office, N1048. STUDENTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SHOW THEIR ONECARD WHEN THEY ARRIVE FOR THEIR APPOINTMENT.
Prior to booking an appointment, note the following:
· Although academic advising is available within each Faculty of Science department and the Dean of Science Office, it is solely the responsibility of students to ensure that they are properly registered and meet course requirements and the requirements of the program for which they are registered.
· To make the most of your appointment, arrive on time and fully prepared to discuss your academic issues. Bring a list of questions, or notes on items that you wish to discuss. Plan to take notes during your appointment. If you are a student who is on academic probation, be prepared to discuss how you plan to overcome your academic obstacles.
· In-person appointments are preferable. Phone appointments are available for students that are unable to travel to campus. Book an appointment and indicate (in the description area) a phone number where you can be reached. Note that each student’s needs vary. As a result, the advisor may occasionally be behind schedule - plan your schedule with a possible 15+ minute delay.
· If you have a brief general question for which an appointment is not necessary, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Send correspondence from your mylaurier account only, and include your Laurier ID#. The scienceadvising email account is monitored regularly, and every effort will be made to respond to your inquiry in a timely manner, on the basis of priority. If your question cannot be answered directly, we will provide you with the contact information of someone who can assist you.
Scheduling an appointment:
Appointments are typically available Monday through Thursday, though days and times may vary during periods of high demand. All available appointment times are indicated in the advisor's calendar, which can be accessed below.
Academic advising appointments are usually available in the morning (9:30 a.m. – noon). To make an appointment with Maureen, please click HERE.
If you need to cancel or change your appointment, do so as early as possible to open the appointment time for another student. You may cancel or change your appointment online (at least 24 hours in advance of the appointment) by clicking on the link above for Maureen. Please note that if you change an appointment, it will automatically cancel the appointment which was scheduled first.
If you need to cancel your appointment on the day of, please contact 519-884-0710 ext. 2425.
If an advisor needs to cancel your scheduled appointment, you will be contacted via your mylaurier email account. Monitor your inbox. While the advisor will attempt to give as much notice as possible, you may receive a cancellation notice as late as the day of.
Students are able to hold only one booked appointment at a time.