Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Incoming Graduate Student at Laurier? Read on!
You've selected Laurier as your destination for your graduate studies, and we are delighted to welcome you.
Review the Next Steps to ensure your readiness for the start of term.
- Read the New Student Welcome Guide:
find information on registration, the Laurier OneCard, teaching assistantships, scholarships, and more.
- Read the Graduate Calendar, which is only published online:
the new Calendar is available in early May annually. The academic Calendar outlines general university regulations and policies as they pertain to graduate students on matters pertaining to student, program, and university responsibilities, policies on academic integrity, program-specific admission and degree requirements, course descriptions, academic dates, and more.
- Ensure that your contact information is complete and accurate:
if your contact information changes, you must notify the university (log into LORIS with your Student Identification Number and pin, and select the "Personal Information Menu" tab).
- Self-identify your needs with the Accessible Learning Centre if desired:
complete the Self-Identification form for new graduate students.
- Contact your prospective advisor and the graduate co-ordinator:
notify them of your acceptance of Laurier's offer of admission. Undertake some preliminary discussions about your program of study (courses required, timelines for program-specific tasks such as submission of proposal, etc.). See www.wlu.ca/gradstudies/contacts.
- Course selection begins May 15:
an announcement will be posted on the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies website.
- Tour of campus by making arrangements with the program's administrative staff:
introduce yourself, tour the campus, meet current graduate students, and more.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship contracts (where offered) are mailed to you (in triplicate):
sign and return the original and one of the two copies of the contract, along with a completed Direct Deposit Authorization Form. The third copy is for your records. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required by law to pay Teaching Assistants. A Teaching Assistantship offer will be revoked if no SIN is provided by the first day of the month in which the Teaching Assistantship is to be held.
- Study Permit applications should be made promptly:
review the Government of Canada website which provides information on studying in Canada. Your Student Information Form is attached to the e-mail you received from Wilfrid Laurier University (firstname.lastname@example.org). Print the Student Information Form, and submit it with your application for the Study Permit. Your valid Study Permit must be presented to the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies. De-registration may result if the Study Permit is not presented by the last date for late registration in the first term of study.
Confirmation deposits are required in some programs to confirm your space:
- Master of Social Work
- PhD in Social Work
of Business Administration (MBA)
- Laurier English & Academic
Foundation Pre-MBA (LEAF Pre-MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- Master of Science (MSc) in management (EMTM only)
- PhD in management
The confirmation deposit is due within three (3) weeks of your response to the offer. A certified cheque or money order payable to Wilfrid Laurier University must be attached to the Confirmation Deposit Form and forwarded by mail to:
Wilfrid Laurier University
Faculty of Social Work (for MSW and PhD in social work) OR
MBA Programs Office (for MBA program) OR
Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (for LEAF Pre-MBA, MFin or EMTM program)
75 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3C5
- Arrive on campus one week prior to the start of classes:
to participate in graduate student orientation activities and welcome events hosted by the institution and by your academic program.
If you require assistance or information on any of the following, please contact the respective office and include your Wilfrid Laurier University Student Identification Number in the subject line:
- Conditions attached to your offer of admission
- If you wish to decline any or all of the funding offered
- If you wish to cancel your acceptance to the graduate program
- If you wish to inquire about deferring your acceptance (for up to one year)
- If you have any other questions specific to your academic program at Laurier
For programs in the Faculty of Social Work: email@example.com
For MBA program: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other programs: email@example.com
We look forward to welcoming you to Laurier!