Safety, Health, Environment & Risk Management
This week we are talking Kitchen Fire Safety
We’ve all accidentally left something cooking on the stove and walked away, but did you know that unattended cooking is the #1 cause of fires in Ontario?
Click here for tips on how to extinguish small fires in the kitchen and on twitter #LaurierFireSafety #Laurier
KITCHEN FIRE SAFETY TIPS
- Never leave stove top unattended when cooking (Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of fires in Ontario)
- Cook only in designated areas
- Cook only when you are alert
- Never cook while you are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Keep the stovetop, burners and oven clean
- Keep anything that can catch fire – potholders, oven mitts, paper or plastic bags, boxes and curtains – away from stovetop
- Wear short sleeves, or fitted or rolled–up long sleeves when cooking
EXTINGUISHING SMALL FIRES
- Remember to always call 911 and Special Constable Service, and initiate emergency procedures before attempting to extinguish a fire. Only use a fire extinguisher if you are trained and can do it safely.
SMALL GREASE FIRE:
- Slide a lid over the pan and turn off the burner.
- Keep the pan covered until it is completely cool.
- Never attempt to extinguish a grease fire with water!
- Turn off the oven and keep the oven door closed.
- Keep the door closed and unplug the microwave, if possible