Dr. Nicole Coviello
Betty and Peter Sims Professor of Entrepreneurship, Professor of Marketing
Contact InformationEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 519.884.0710 ext.2054
Office Location: P3012
BComm Hons (Saskatchewan), MSc (Saskatchewan), PhD (Auckland), DSc Econ h.c. (Turku)
Nicole Coviello is the Betty and Peter Sims Professor of Entrepreneurship and Professor of Marketing at Wilfrid Laurier University. She received her PhD in Marketing and International Business from the University of Auckland in 1994. She also holds an MSc (Technology Management) and BComm Hons (Marketing) from the University of Saskatchewan. Nicole began her career at the University of Waikato (New Zealand) and has since held positions at the University of Calgary and University of Auckland. In 2010, she received an Honorary Doctorate from the Turku School of Economics (Finland).
Nicole has published her research in the top journals across three disciplines. These include marketing (Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science), international business (Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of World Business, Journal of International Marketing, International Business Review) and entrepreneurship (Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice).
In 2014, Nicole was ranked as the #1 non-US scholar in International Marketing and tied for #2 worldwide. She was also ranked #18 in the world for International Business and is the only female in the ‘top 20’ list of IB scholars. She is Field Editor for both marketing and international entrepreneurship at the Journal of Business Venturing. This journal is ranked as the premiere journal for entrepreneurship research.
Nicole currently holds a 3-year appointment as Visiting Research Professor at the University of Turku in Finland. She has held similar appointments at Hanken (the Swedish School of Economics and Business Administration) in Finland and the University of Glasgow in Scotland. She was also an Erskine Visiting Fellow at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand (2011) and for 2014-2016 is working with a research team funded by the Government of Spain at the University of Seville.
Google Scholar Link to Nicole
Research Interests/Ongoing Projects:
Nicole’s general research interests intersect marketing strategy, international business and entrepreneurship.
Examples of current projects include:
- A Multi-Process View of How Entrepreneurial Networks Develop (with Valtteri Kaartemo and Niina Nummela, University of Turku, Finland)
- A Reconciled View of How Entrepreneurial Teams Form (with C Ben-Hafaïdeh, IÉSEG School of Management, France)
- Configuring Market-Based Capabilities (with H Mehrabi – doctoral student)
- Deconstructing the Nature and Impact of Marketing Capabilities (with Greg Tanguay – doctoral student)
- Drivers and Implications of Speed to Market (with Moussa Obeid – doctoral student)
- Handbook of Measures for Research in International Entrepreneurship (with Helena Yli-Renko, University of Southern California, USA)
- How Networking Capabilities Influence Product Innovation (with Ken Chen – doctoral student)
- How Pre-Foundation Innovation Activities Impact Early Exports (with Achim Walter, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, Germany, Thomas Ritter, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark, and Nora Otte - doctoral student, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, Germany)
- Integrating Effectuation Logic and Network Processes (with Jon Kerr – doctoral student)
- The International Dynamics of Spanish Firms (with Francisco Acedo, University of Seville, Spain)
- Toward a Curriculum for International Entrepreneurship Education: Results of a Delphi Study (with Valtteri Kaartemo and Peter Zettinig, University of Turku, Finland)
Selected Awards and Achievements:
- 2008-2015 (extended to 2016): Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Strategic Knowledge Cluster Grant, $1.95M (co-investigator).
- 2015: Shortlisted for the Journal of International Business Studies ‘Decade Award’
- 2013: Gerald E Hills Award for Outstanding Contribution to Entrepreneurial Marketing, American Marketing Association and the AMA Entrepreneurial Marketing Special Interest Group.
- 2010: Awarded Honorary Doctorate from Turku School of Economics, University of Turku, Finland.
- 2008: Best Reviewer Award, Journal of International Business Studies.
Nicole is currently supervising five talented doctoral students:
- Yongjian (Ken) Chen – Ontario Government Scholarship recipient
- Jon Kerr – Ontario Government Scholarship recipient, SSHRC funded ($40K over two years)
- Hamed Mehrabi – Ontario Trillium Scholarship recipient ($160K over four years)
- Moussa Obeid
- Greg Tanguay
- Coviello, Nicole E. (2015), “Re-Thinking Research on Born Globals,” Journal of International Business Studies, 46, 17-26.
- Coviello, Nicole E. and Richard M. Joseph (2012), "Creating Major Innovations with Customers: Insights from Small and Young Firms," Journal of Marketing, 76 (6), 87-104.
- Coviello, Nicole E., McDougall-Covin, Patricia P. and Benjamin M. Oviatt (2011), "The Emergence, Advance and Future of International Entrepreneurship Research," Journal of Business Venturing, 26, (6), 625-631.
- Jones, Marian V., Coviello, Nicole and Yee-Kwan Tang (2011), "International Entrepreneurship Research (1989-2009): A Domain Ontology and Thematic Analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, 26 (6), 632-659.
- Chandra, Yanto and Nicole Coviello (2010), "Broadening the Concept of International Entrepreneurship: Consumers as International Entrepreneurs," Journal of World Business, 45 (3), 228-236.
- Slotte-Kock, Susanna and Nicole Coviello (2010). "Entrepreneurship Research on Network Processes: A Review and Ways Forward," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 24 (1), 31-57.
- Brodie, Roderick J, Winklhofer, Heidi, Coviello, Nicole and Wesley Johnston (2007). "Is e-Marketing Coming of Age? An Examination of the Penetration of e-Marketing and Firm Performance,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21(1), 2-21.
- Coviello, Nicole E. (2006). "Network Dynamics in the International New Venture" Journal of International Business Studies, 37(5) 713-731.
- Coviello, Nicole, Winklhofer, Heidi and Karla Hamilton (2006). "Marketing Practices and Performance of Small Service Firms: An Examination in the Tourism Accommodation Sector," Journal of Service Research, 9(1), 38-58.
- Jones, Marian V. and Nicole E. Coviello (2005). "Internationalization: Conceptualizing an Entrepreneurial Process of Behaviour in Time," Journal of International Business Studies, 36(3), 284-303.
- Coviello, Nicole E. and Marian V. Jones (2004). “Methodological Issues in International Entrepreneurship,” Journal of Business Venturing, 19 (4), 485-508.
- Coviello, Nicole, Brodie, Roderick, Danaher, Peter and Wesley Johnston (2002). “How Firms Relate to their Markets: An Empirical Examination of Contemporary Marketing Practices,” Journal of Marketing, 66 (3), 33-46.