Women and Gender Studies Website (Accessible Version)
Website Quick Links
Women and Gender Studies
The women and Gender Studies Program at Wilfrid Laurier University is:
- An interdisciplinary field of study.
- places women and questions of gender at the centre of inquiry.
- Emphasizes the important role that gender places in shaping people’s experiences.
- Foregrounds gender
- Is fundamentally linked to class, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexuality, age, ability, and other identities that form who we are.
- Faculty and students cross disciplines in the Humanities and Social Sciences, as well as the Sciences, Business and Economics.
Our goal is to:
- Encourage students to develop an understanding of how society thinks about gender,by attaining the analytic and articulation skills needed to examine complex questions about society.
Our aim is to:
- Engage students that are committed to social justice.
- Ensure women’s lives are included in the production of knowledge.
- Providing training in critical thought,research and writing.
- Centering these skills on community engagement.
Former Students Corner
“For me, arriving at the Department of Women’s Studies at Laurier felt like coming home. I found colleagues, mentors, friends, and the courage to pursue my goals. I became involved in activist work on campus and in the wider community. At Laurier, feminism is both taught and modeled by professors, staff, and students. I am very proud to have earned a Women’s Studies and English degree with such a motivated and innovative group of people.” - Jess Huber, Doctoral Candidate at Memorial University Faculty of English