Dr. Brent Wolfe
Professor & Graduate Coordinator
Contact InformationEmail: email@example.com
Phone: 519 884-0710 ext.3470
Office Location: 3C8
1997 PhD, Department of Earth
1993 MSc, Department of Geological Sciences,
1990 BSc (First Class Honours), Department of
Geological Sciences, University of
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Waterloo
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biology, University of Waterloo
impact of climate change and variability on water resources is a pressing issue
for northern boreal freshwater landscapes in
In partnership with organizations that include northern First Nation
communities, educational institutions, government agencies, and industry, my
research program (formerly supported by the NSERC Northern Research Chair
· White H. In Progress. Hydrology and greenhouse gas behaviour of lakes in Wapusk National Park (northern Manitoba). PhD (Geography and Environmental Studies WLU).
· Turner K. In Progress. Investigating the hydrology of a lake-rich thermokarst landscape (Old Crow Flats, Yukon, Canada) using water isotope tracers. PhD (Geography and Environmental Studies WLU).
· Balasubramaniam A. In Progress. Assessing linkages among climate, hydrology and aquatic ecology for the development of biomonitoring protocols in the Old Crow Flats, Yukon Territory. PhD (Biology UW; co-supervised with R Hall).
· MacDonald L. In Progress. Limnology, carbon dynamics and impacts of Lesser Snow Geese in Wapusk National Park. PhD (Biology UW; co-supervised with R Hall).
· Wiklund J. 2012. Lakes of the Peace-Athabasca Delta: Controls on nutrients, chemistry, phytoplankton, epiphyton and deposition of polycyclic aromatic compounds (PACs). PhD (Biology UW; co-supervised with R Hall). Current position: Postdoctoral Researcher (Biology, UW).
· Benkert (Brock) B. 2010. Isotope hydrology and paleohydrology of the Slave River Delta, NWT. PhD (Earth and Environmental Sciences UW; WB Pearson Medal recipient). Current position: Climate Change Research Project Manager, Northern Climate Exchange (
· St. Amour N. 2009. A multi-proxy study of Holocene atmospheric circulation dynamics recorded in lake sediments in Fennoscandia. PhD (Earth and Environmental Sciences UW; co-supervised with T Edwards). Current position: Postdoctoral Researcher, Earth Sciences Western (
· Yi Y. 2008. Developing and refining the use of water isotope tracers in hydrology and paleohydrology. PhD (Earth and Environmental Sciences UW; co-supervised with T Edwards). Current position: NSERC Industrial Postdoctoral Researcher, Alberta Research Council (Victoria).
· Sokal M. 2007. Assessment of hydroecological changes at the Slave River Delta, NWT, using diatoms in seasonal, inter-annual and paleolimnological experiments. PhD (Biology UW; co-supervised with R Hall). Current position: Environmental Impact Assessment Biologist, BC Ministry of the Environment (
· Elmes M. 2013. Paleolimnological approaches for developing baseline knowledge of polycyclic aromatic compound deposition in the Peace-Athabasca and
· Farquharson N. 2013. Characterizing the roles of hydrological processes, climate change and Lesser Snow Geese on ponds in
· Tondu J. 2012. An interdisciplinary approach to monitoring the hydroecology of thermokarst lakes in Old Crow Flats,
· Light (Dobson) E. 2011. Characterizing the present and past hydrology of shallow ponds in the Churchill area using isotopic methods. MSc (Geography and Environmental Studies WLU). Recipient of
· White J. 2011. Characterizing current and past hydroecological conditions in shallow tundra ponds of the Hudson Bay Lowlands. MSc (Biology UW; co-supervised with R Hall). Recipient of University of Waterloo Dean of Science Award (MSc). Current position: Environmental Scientist, Parks Environmental Inc. (
· Ennis M. 2010. Paleolimnological reconstruction of hydrologic change in the Slave River and
· Light C. 2010. Identifying potential carbon flux responses to shifting hydroecological and climatic regimes in the Peace-Athabasca Delta. MSc (Geography and Environmental Studies WLU). Current position: Geoscientist, AECOM (
· Jarvis S. 2008. Reconstruction of Peace River flood frequency and magnitude for the past ~600 years from oxbow lake sediments, Peace-Athabasca Delta,
· Mongeon C. 2008. Paleohydrologic reconstruction of three shallow basins, Slave River Delta, NWT, using stable isotope methods. MES (Geography and Environmental Studies WLU). Current position: Academic Advisor, Faculty of Arts, WLU (
· Adam M. 2007. Development and application of plant macrofossils for paleolimnological reconstructions in the Slave River Delta, NWT. MSc (Biology UW; co-supervised with R Hall). Current position: Terrestrial and Aquatic Ecologist, GENIVAR (
· Clogg-Wright K. 2007. Isotope-inferred water balances of Slave River Delta lakes, NWT,
· Falcone M. 2007. Assessing hydrological processes controlling the water balance of lakes in the Peace-Athabasca Delta,
Research publications (supervised student,):
· Edwards TWD, BB Wolfe, JJ Gibson and D Hammarlund. 2004. “Use of
water isotope tracers in high-latitude hydrology and paleohydrology.” In Long-Term
Environmental Change in Arctic and
· MacDonald GM, TWD Edwards, B Gervais, TE Laing, MFJ Pisaric, DF
Porinchu, JA Snyder, N Solovieva, P Tarasov and BB Wolfe. 2004. “Recent
paleolimnological research from northern Russian Eurasia and
· Wolfe BB, TWD Edwards, RJ Elgood and KRM Beuning. 2001. “Carbon and oxygen
isotope analysis of lake sediment cellulose: methods and applications.” In Tracking
Environmental Change Using
· Shanley JB, E Pendall, C Kendall, LR Stevens, RL Michel, PJ Phillips, RM
Forester, DL Naftz, B Liu, L Stern, BB Wolfe, CP Chamberlain, SW
Leavitt, THE Heaton, B Mayer, LD Cecil, WB Lyons, BG Katz, JL Betancourt, DM
McKnight, JD Blum, TWD Edwards, HR House, E Ito, RO Aravena, and JF Whelan.
1998. "Isotopes as indicators of environmental change." In Isotope
Tracers in Catchment Hydrology (C Kendall and JJ McDonnell, eds.).
· Tondu J-ME, KW Turner, BB
· White J, RI Hall, BB Wolfe, EM Light, ML Macrae and L Fishback. in review. Hydrological connectivity influences seasonal patterns of limnological conditions in shallow tundra ponds of the western Hudson Bay Lowlands. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research.
· Buhay WM, BB Wolfe and A Schwalb. 2012. Lakewater
· MacDonald LA, AM
· MacDonald LA, KW Turner, AM Balasubramaniam, BB
· Wiklund JA, RI Hall and BB Wolfe. 2012. Timescales of
hydrolimnological change in floodplain lakes of the Peace-Athabasca Delta,
· Wiklund JA, RI Hall, BB Wolfe, TWD Edwards, AJ Farwell and DG Dixon. 2012.
· Wolfe BB, RI Hall, TWD Edwards and JW Johnston. 2012. Developing temporal hydroecological perspectives to inform stewardship of a northern floodplain landscape subject to multiple stressors: Paleolimnological investigations of the Peace-Athabasca Delta. Environmental Reviews 20: 191-210.
· , PR
· Wolfe BB, EM Light, ML
· Wolfe BB, TWD Edwards, RI Hall and JW Johnston. 2011. A 5200-year record
of freshwater availability for regions in western
· Brock BE, ME Martin, CL Mongeon, MA Sokal, , D Armitage, BB Wolfe, RI Hall and TWD Edwards. 2010. Flood frequency variability during the past 80 years in the Slave River Delta, NWT, as determined from multi-proxy paleolimnological analysis. Canadian Water Resources Journal 35: 281-300.
· Olsen J,
· , Y Yi, MA Sokal,
· Sokal MA, RI Hall and BB Wolfe. 2010. The role of flooding on inter-annual and seasonal variability of lake water chemistry, phytoplankton diatom communities and macrophyte biomass in the Slave River Delta (Northwest Territories, Canada). Ecohydrology 3: 41-54.
· Turner KW, BB Wolfe and TWD Edwards. 2010. Characterizing the role of
hydrological processes on lake water balances in the Old Crow Flats,
· Wiklund JA, , RI Hall and BB Wolfe. 2010. Epiphytic diatoms as flood indicators. Journal of Paleolimnology 44: 25-42.
· Brock BE, Y Yi, KP Clogg-Wright, TWD Edwards and BB Wolfe. 2009. Multi-year landscape-scale assessment of lakewater balances in the Slave River Delta, NWT, using water isotope tracers. Journal of Hydrology 379: 81-91.
· Brock BE, BB Wolfe and TWD Edwards. 2008. Spatial and temporal perspectives on spring break-up flooding in the Slave River Delta, NWT. Hydrological Processes 22: 4058-4072.
· MacDonald GM, KA Moser,
· Sokal MA, RI Hall and BB Wolfe. 2008. Relationships between hydrological and limnological conditions in lakes of the Slave River Delta (NWT, Canada) and quantification of their roles on sedimentary diatom assemblages. Journal of Paleolimnology 39: 533-550.
· Wolfe BB, RI Hall, TWD Edwards, SR Jarvis,
· Wolfe BB, RI Hall, TWD Edwards, SR Vardy, MD Falcone,
· Yi Y, BE Brock, MD Falcone, BB Wolfe and TWD Edwards. 2008. A coupled isotope tracer method to characterize input water to lakes. Journal of Hydrology 350: 1-13.
· Brock BE, BB Wolfe and TWD Edwards. 2007. Characterizing the hydrology of shallow floodplain lakes in the Slave River Delta, NWT, using water isotope tracers. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 39: 388-401.
· Wolfe BB, D Armitage,
· Wolfe BB, MD Falcone, KP Clogg-Wright, CL Mongeon, Y Yi,
· Wolfe BB, TL Karst-Riddoch, RI Hall, TWD Edwards, MC English, , , PR Leavitt and SR Vardy. 2007. Classification of hydrological regimes of northern floodplain basins (Peace-Athabasca Delta, Canada) from analysis of stable isotopes (d18O, d2H) and water chemistry. Hydrological Processes 21: 151-168.
· Wolfe BB, RI Hall, WM Last, TWD Edwards, MC English, TL Karst-Riddoch,
· Gibson JJ, TWD Edwards, SJ Birks, NA St. Amour, B Buhay, P
McEachern, BB Wolfe and DL Peters. 2005. Progress in isotope tracer
· Köster D, R Pienitz, BB Wolfe, S Barry, D Foster and
· Wolfe BB, TL Karst-Riddoch, SR Vardy, MD
· Hammarlund D, G Velle, BB Wolfe, TWD Edwards, I Snowball, L
Barnekow, S Holmgren, S Lamme, B
Wohlfarth and G Possnert. 2004. Palaeolimnological and sedimentary responses to
Holocene forest retreat in the
· Kaufman DS, TA Ager, NJ Anderson, PM Anderson, JT Andrews, PJ Bartlein,
LB Brubaker, LL Coats, LC Cwynar, ML Duvall, AS Dyke, ME Edwards, WR Eisner, K
Gajewski, A Geirsdóttir, FS Hu, AE Jennings, MR Kaplan, MW Kerwin, AV Lozhkin,
GM MacDonald, GH Miller, CJ Mock, WW Oswald, BL Otto-Bliesner, DF Porinchu, K
Rühland, JP Smol, EJ Steig and BB Wolfe. 2004. Holocene thermal maximum
in the western
· Abbott MB, BB Wolfe, AP Wolfe, GO Seltzer, R
Aravena, BG Mark, PJ Polissar, DT Rodbell, HD Rowe and M Vuille. 2003. Holocene
paleohydrology and glacial history of the central
· Wolfe BB, TWD Edwards, H Jiang, GM MacDonald, BR Gervais and JA Snyder. 2003.
Effect of varying oceanicity on early to mid-Holocene palaeohydrology,
· Beuning KRM, K Kelts, J Russell and BB Wolfe. 2002. Reassessment
of Lake Victoria -
· Wolfe BB, R
· Wolfe BB, TWD Edwards, R Aravena, SL Forman, BG Warner, AA Velichko and GM
MacDonald. 2000. Holocene paleohydrology and paleoclimate at treeline,
· Wolfe BB, TWD Edwards and HC Duthie. 2000. A 6000-year record of interaction
· Wolfe BB, TWD Edwards and R Aravena. 1999. Changes in carbon and nitrogen
cycling regimes during tree-line retreat recorded in the isotopic content of
lacustrine organic matter, western
· Wolfe BB and TWD Edwards. 1998. Comment on "Stable carbon and oxygen
isotope records from
· Wolfe BB and TWD Edwards. 1997. Hydrologic control on the oxygen-isotope
relation between sediment cellulose and lake water, western
· Duthie HC, J-R Yang, TWD Edwards, BB Wolfe and BG Warner. 1996.
· Edwards TWD, BB Wolfe and GM MacDonald. 1996. Influence of
changing atmospheric circulation on precipitation d18O-temperature
· Wolfe BB, TWD Edwards, R Aravena and GM MacDonald. 1996. Rapid Holocene
hydrologic change along boreal treeline revealed by d13C and d18O
in organic lake sediments,
· Wolfe B
and JT Teller. 1995. Sedimentation in ice-dammed glacial
· Leavitt PR, BJ Hann, JP Smol, BA Zeeb, CC Christie, B Wolfe and
HJ Kling. 1994. Paleolimnological analysis of whole-lake experiments: an
overview of results from
· Wolfe B, HJ Kling, GJ Brunskill and P Wilkinson. 1994. Multiple dating of a
freeze core from
· Wolfe B
and JT Teller. 1993. Sedimentological and stratigraphic investigations of a
sequence of 106 varves from glacial
Selected essays, reports and newsletters
· Wolfe B and RI Hall. 2012. Hydroecology of lakes in Wapusk National Park – past and present. In Report on Research and Monitoring in the Greater Wapusk Region 2010-2011. Churchill Northern Studies Centre and Parks Canada.
· Wolfe B, MM Humphries, MFJ Pisaric, AM Balasubramaniam, CR Burn, L Chan, D Cooley, DG Froese, S Graupe, RI Hall, T Lantz,, KW Turner, and M Williams. 2011. Environmental change and traditional use of the Old Crow Flats in northern Canada: An IPY opportunity to meet the challenges of the new northern research paradigm. Arctic 64: 127-135.
· Wolfe B, and KW Turner. 2008. Near-record precipitation causes rapid drainage of Zelma Lake, Old Crow Flats, northern Yukon Territory. Meridian (published by the Canadian Polar Commission) Spring/Summer issue: 7-12. [subsequently featured in the 2008 Yukon State of the Environment Report].
· Wolfe B, RI Hall, and TWD Edwards. 2006. Assessing the status of the Peace-Athabasca Delta ecosystem: Challenging the paradigm from a paleoenvironmental perspective. Meridian Fall/Winter issue: 7-12.