Honours BSc Biology
The Honours BSc Biology program consists of a minimum of 20.0 credits, including at least 10.0 but no more than 11.0 senior Biology credits. This program offers students an integrative approach to the study of biology, linking processes at the molecular level to the structure of whole organisms and processes operating at the level of populations and communities. The program shall include no more than 6.0 100 level credits and must include the following:
BI100*; 1.0 credit from BI223, BI224, BI230, BI231; 2.0 credits from BI253*, BI263*, BI283* (see Note 2); 1.0 credit from BI300, BI301, BI302, BI305*, BI307*, BI308, BI400, BI464*; 0.5 credit from BI304, BI306, BI312, BI315, BI341, BI366*, BI367, BI390, BI391, BI430, BI431; and at least 5.5 additional senior BI credits. Students intending to take BI499‡ (see Note 3) must take BI399 in Year 3. Of the minimum 10.0 senior BI credits, at least 5.0 must be at the 300 or 400 level, and at least 4.0 must include a lab component and/or field work.
CH110, CH111, CH202, CH203, CH250, CH350.
MA105, MA122, MA241.
PC141 (or PC131)
0.5 credit from: CP104, GG101, PC142 (or PC132) (Refer to Note 4 for recommendations.)
- Electives (3.5 credits in the program) must include a minimum of 0.5 credit from each of Curriculum Divisions A and B (refer to Curriculum Divisions).
- At least 2.0 credits from BI253*, BI263*, and BI283* must be taken by the end of Year 3.
- For students considering graduate studies, it is recommended that the BI499‡ thesis be taken in Year 4. Students wishing to complete the thesis course must complete BI399 in Year 3; they must apply to the department to take BI499‡ by mid-February of Year 3. Admission to BI499‡ requires a minimum GPA in Biology courses of 7.0 and will depend on the availability of supervisors. Admission decisions normally will be made by mid-March of Year 3.
- PC141 and PC142 are recommended for students planning to take senior BI courses in physiology and microtechniques, or planning a career in health sciences. GG101 and/or GL100* are prerequisite courses for senior Physical Geography courses, and are recommended for students planning to complete the Environmental Science Option.
- For progression into Years 2, 3 and 4, and for graduation, a cumulative GPA of at least 4.00 in Biology and an overall GPA of at least 4.00 are required.
- Senior honours students are expected to attend all departmental seminars.
- The following is a suggested schedule within which all program requirements can be fulfilled:
BI100*, CH110, CH111
MA105, MA122, PC141 (or PC131)
0.5 credit from: CP104, GG101, PC142 (or PC132) (refer to Note 4 for recommendations.)
GL100* (refer to Note 4) or 1.0 elective credit (refer to Note 1)
3.0 senior BI credits, including at least 1.0 credit from BI223, BI224, BI230, BI231, and at least 1.0 credit from BI253*, BI263*, BI283* (refer to Note 2)
CH202, CH203, MA241
0.5 elective credit
3.0 senior BI credits (refer to program requirements, and to Notes 2 and 3)
1.0 elective credit
4.0 senior BI credits (refer to Note 3)
1.0 elective credit
BI491 renumbered to BI391; and BI312, BI315, BI367 and BI390 added to
list of choices of required courses; passed by Senate Dec 6, 2006 and
effective Jan 1, 2007.
Academic & Related Dates 2006/2007