RESEARCH 2 REVENUE COMPETITION
Alumni Hall, Wilfrid Laurier University
Friday, Nov 22, 2013
1:00 - 4:00 pm
What is the competition about?
Students conceptualizing/developing a business model and go-to-market strategy for technologies developed by Laurier researchers.
Who should participate?
Students that are interested in creating start-up companies and are looking for a proven technology based on the research done at Laurier.
What is the format of the competition?
- On Nov 8th, six technologies/product ideas developed by Laurier researchers are presented in video format.
- From Nov 8th to Nov 14th, students apply online for the technology of their choice. Students have the option to form groups. Students can also express their interest in joining groups if they canít find partners themselves.
- On Nov 15th, applications are reviewed, and groups are formed when feasible, and assigned to each technology. Each group is recommended, but not required, to have at least two students, one from the Business program and one from a Science/Art/Education/Music/Social Work program. One-person teams will be considered but justification needs to be articulated in the application.
- Between Nov 15th and Nov 21st, students work on their projects prior to the competition day. That includes interacting with mentors, including the Faculty of Science Entrepreneur-in-Residence, and at least a one-hour meeting with their respected Laurier researcher.
- On Nov 22nd, (the competition day), students give their presentations in front of a panel of judges where the winner is awarded a $500 cash prize, in addition to getting pre-approval for entering the Laurier Launchpad program.
What happens next?
We can facilitate the discussion between you and the Laurier researcher and try to find a mutually agreeable model where you can actually create a start-up company based on the technology/product idea.
For more details on possible working models, please read the Working Models information sheet.