Laurier Association for Lifelong Learning (LALL)
"The professor's presentation was wonderful and engaging. The details that he provided made the entire history of Pompeii come alive."
"The course was both provocative and evocative. It has spurred me on to paths of thinking I wouldn't have otherwise traveled."
- Participant, An Introduction to Death and Dying, Fall 2014
- Participant, An Archaeology of Disaster: Exploring the Site of Pompeii, Fall 2014"We were given the opportunity to write, share and challenge one another. I looked forward to each coming week's class."
- Participant, Creative Writing 101, Fall 2014
About the Laurier Association for Lifelong Learning (LALL)
LALL courses offer a unique option for adult learning. Courses are non-credit and are intended for personal interest and self-education. LALL is a non-profit organization supported by Continuing Studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. The distinction between a LALL course and a university course is that LALL courses have no exams, no grading, and no prerequisites!
Courses generally run two hours per week for six consecutive weeks and are offered in morning or afternoon sessions. LALL offers courses three times per year:
- Spring - usually runs the second week of April through the third week of May
- Fall - usually runs the second week of October through the third week of November
- Winter - usually runs the first week of February through the middle of March
About the Instructors
Learn all about our LALL instructors here.
Learn all about our LALL instructors here.
Spring 2015: Get the Course Brochure!
Below are the courses for spring 2015. The brochure can be found here; courses will start the second week of April. Be sure to join our email list or follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates to the course line-up.
Please note, once the brochure is available you will need Adobe Reader to view the document; please click here to obtain a free copy of Adobe Reader. Having trouble viewing the brochure in PDF format? Please click here for assistance; for Mac users please click here for assistance.
- Loren Calder - Russia and Ukraine: From Historical Roots to Current Realities
- Deena Mandell - Families in Film V: Families and Food*
- Paul McGrath - According to Einstein: Space, Time and Gravity
- Jan Narveson - Masterpieces in Chamber Music II
- Scott Gallimore - Beyond Pompeii:
Archaeological Disasters of the Greco-Roman World
- Cindy McMann - Robert Frost and Friends: Early 20th-Century Poetry
- Darryl Dee - The Age of the Sun King
- Jeremy Kowalski - Popular Geopolitics:
Reproducing Enemies in the So-Called War on Terror
- Gordon Greene - France: A New Style of Music
- Monica Stellin - Gusto! Italian Culinary Culture
- Carl Simpson - From Treetops to Laptops: Our Technological Evolution
- Anna-Marie Larsen - The Value of Irreverence
*Please check the brochure to note the condensed course format.
Fee: $70 per course
Note: Your instructor may recommend additional items for purchases (e.g., books). They are only recommendations and are not mandatory for participation in the LALL courses.
For details on how to submit your registration, please refer to the course registration information page, brochure or LALL registration form and submit it to the address indicated with full payment. Please note that post-dated cheques will not be accepted.
Course registrants are processed lottery-style and admitted on the basis of payment received. Advance registrations cannot be accommodated. Courses fill up quickly!
If your course becomes full prior to your registration being processed, we will always let you know in writing and will return your voided payment. Please be sure to include an alternate course on your registration in case your first choice(s) fills quickly.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
- a full course fee refund, less a $12 administration fee, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received prior to the first meeting of the class
- no refund can be made after the course begins
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, participants will be informed and all fees will be refunded.
For more information about LALL, please contact Continuing Studies by phone at 519.884.0710 x4628 or email.
Give the gift of learning this year! LALL has gift certificates available -- a perfect gift for that hard-to-buy-for person (or people) on your list. Regular course registration procedures apply to those who receive gift certificates. For details, please contact email@example.com | 519.884.0710 x4628.
- participants who are also alumni of Laurier, Waterloo or Guelph may activate a library card at any time; please contact the Laurier library for more information
- all other participants may purchase a library card at a reduced rate of $10
- library cards are good for one year from activation date